BY MANDY SACHER
I like to make this yummy parfait with my little boy. He loves to choose which layers to add, and when it’s ready, we eat it together on a picnic rug out on our patio. It’s great for special-occasion breakfasts, such as Mother’s Day or a birthday, as a mid-morning snack or even dessert.
This version is dairy free as it’s made with coconut yoghurt but you can use natural yoghurt if you prefer. The addition of chia seeds, flaxseeds, almonds and pecans means it’s high in protein. It’s also rich in calcium and essential fats and high in fibre.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
2 cups wholegrain rolled oats
1 cup almonds and pecans, slivered
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup seeds (sunflower seeds, pepitas)
¼ cup flax seed
½ tsp cinnamon
sprinkle Himalayan sea salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
¼ cup coconut oil
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 can full-fat coconut cream ,refrigerated upside down overnight
1 punnet of fresh strawberries or any other berries
1 tbsp of honey
1. To make the granola preheat your oven to 150 C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place oats, nuts, shredded coconut, seeds, cinnamon and salt in a big bowl and stir to combine.
3. In another bowl, combine maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
4. Pour maple syrup mixture over oat mixture and use your clean hands to mix well and toss to coat.
5. Spread mixture onto the baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, stirring halfway.
6. Allow granola to cool completely – the air will help the granola obtain a crunchy texture.
7. To make the whipped coconut cream, turn the chilled coconut cream can upside down, and pour off the clear liquid at the top until all that is left is the solidified cream. If the cream hasn’t solidified, then pour off as much clear liquid as possible.
8. Transfer coconut cream to a mixing bowl and beat with a standing or hand mixer until it’s whipped, approximately for 5 minutes.
9. Spoon a bit of the granola into the bottom of four serving bowls or glasses. Then add a layer of strawberries. Spoon coconut whipped cream on top of the strawberries. Repeat the layers using the strawberries and cream mixture. Drizzle some honey or any sweetener of choice on top.
SERVING AND STORING LEFTOVERS
Serve immediately. Store leftover granola in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks or freeze it for up to 3 months. Store leftover whipped coconut cream in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Mandy Sacher is a certified Paediatric Nutritionist and SOS Feeding Consultant. Find out more about Mandy and Wholesome Child HERE